If you got a hole in your air mattress, you do not need to throw it away. You can fix the hole in your air mattress with super glue so you can keep making use of it.
The bonding capabilities of super glue are strong and durable enough to fix the hole in your mattress, so the money you spend on it doesn’t go to waste.
This guide will show you precisely what items you need and which steps to follow so you can start re-using your air mattress for camping or other endeavors.
How To Fix The Hole In Your Air Mattress: Easy To Follow Steps
Before you can fix the hole in your air mattress with super glue, you need to get the following items for this project:
- Super glue
- Tailor’s marker pen
- Water and soap
- Thin rubber or plastic patch
- Inflating tool
Before efficiently fixing the hole, you need to know where it is and how big it is.
So let’s take it to step by step and get the problem solved for you in the best, easiest, and most effective way.
Step One: Find and Mark The Hole
This may seem such a trivial step, but finding and marking the hole will come in handy because you need to match the rubber or plastic material in size, so it fully covers the hole and expands
beyond the hole for a more durable hold.
We have you covered if you aren’t sure where the hole is.
We will guide you step by step on how you can find the hole in your air mattress.
To find the hole in your air mattress, slowly inflate it. Listen to a hissing sound – the air escaping through the hole.
There is one more way to find the hole in the air mattress.
Mix soap and water in one bowl or container and pour it over the air mattress. As you inflate the air mattress, the escaping air will create bubbles or foam at the hole.
Now that you know where the hole is, let’s mark it.
Use a tailor’s marker pen (or any other marker pen that will work) and mark the area of the hole.
Simply make a circle around the hole.
Step Two: Fixing The Hole In Your Air Mattress With Super Glue
Follow these steps to fix a small hole in your air mattress with super glue:
- If the hole is very small, simply spray Super Glue over the hole and press the material together
- Apply the pressure until the glue dries – this may be enough to fix very small holes but it isn’t a guarantee
Follow these steps to fix a larger hole in your air mattress with super glue:
- Cut out a rubber or plastic patch that is big enough to cover the size of the hole and the surrounding material – make sure that the edges of the patch aren’t too close to the edges of the hole (the size of the patch should be at least 2 times bigger than the size of the hole)
- Clean the surface of the air mattress where you will apply the patch – remove dust or stains, and if it is wet, allow it to completely dry
- Apply super glue around the hole
- Apply super glue to one side of the patch, covering its surface
- Place the glued patch on top of the leak and press down on it
- Keep the pressure on until the super glue dries (around 45 seconds)
- Allow the glue to cure for 24 hours before testing the air mattress
Step Three: Test The Patch
Now that the curing time is up, you can (and should) test how the patch performs.
Inflate your air mattress all the way. Pay attention if you hear any air escaping.
You can also pour soapy water on top of the patch. If there are any air leaks, you will see bubbles forming.
The glue might have missed those spots if there was air licking from under the patch.
Apply the glue directly under the patch to close up the leak if you can. Let it fully cure.
Or apply a new patch that covers the hole better.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use duct tape to fix the hole in my air mattress?
Yes, you can use duct tape to fix the hole in your air mattress. Simply place it over the hole and press down well upon it to make it adhere and cover the hole.
Can I use Gorilla Glue to fix holes in my air mattress?
You can use Gorilla Glue to fix holes in your air mattress. Follow the same application steps as with the super glue.
If you are away camping, or you have family staying over and need to inflate your air mattress and notice a hole in it, you are in a time crunch, and you don’t have a patch kit, grab your super glue or gorilla glue.
Super Glue and Gorilla Glue can offer a strong and durable bond between your air mattress and the patch so that the hole won’t be an issue anymore, and you can use your air mattress.